Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Questions i hate hearing


I am involved with an activity called Winterguard. It I the sport of indoor colorguard. There is a combination of equipment that is spun along with dance to music in gyms. It is not a well-known activity so there are a lot of questions associated with it. Luckily, I have not gotten too many offensive questions. The activity is very time consuming and there are few jobs associated with the activity that are available and since it is not well known it is not exactly a great resume builder. I get a lot of questions along the lines of, “So it’s just kind of like a hobby where you twirl stuff?” Even though that is exactly what it is, the wording of the questions seem somewhat derogatory. It is a hobby because I choose to do it in my spare time but I would not really put it in the same category as knitting. I do not put it in the same category as sports because it is a sport of the arts. I just do not appreciate it being grouped in with other groups because it is so unique. I also do not like the word “twirls.” It just seems to have a negative connotation in comparison to “spins.” One time after I mentioned that I was part of Winterguard I was asked “What are you guarding?” That was just really far off of point. The activity is derived from military activities but it really is not associated with it at all anymore. I explain that it is like the flags that are in marching band inside by themselves and that always brings up, “So it’s like the movie Drumline?” That movie is a very bad representation of the marching arts and it is unfortunate that it is so culturally known. I also get “Do you get paid for it?” We all pay to do the activity because it is not cheap but people pay for many other experiences without question. Guard is just something I know I hold close to my heart so I am picky with what is said about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment